Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The drive, the wait, the result!

We finally made it to the day of the BIG ultrasound! My husband and I both took the day off of work so we could go to the ultrasound in the morning and spend the rest of the day looking at baby stuff and probably buy a thing or two. My appointment was 9:30 am so going to bed was nearly impossible the night before. We got up nice and early and got ready. The entire morning I felt nauseous .. like that feeling you have when you are little and you know you’re in trouble. We stopped at the convenience store on the way so I can grab an orange juice and make sure this baby was ready to move. Unfortunately oj after freshly brushed teeth and a nervous knotted stomach isn’t a great combo, so I decided 2 sips would have to do to get the baby moving. My husband was just as nervous as we drove the 15 or so minutes to the doctor’s office.


The entire time all I could think about was the health of the baby. Since we declined all of the screenings and tests, this would technically be the first time we would see our baby and know if everything was healthy. At this point I was also convinced the baby was a girl. EVERYONE was saying boy at the beginning, with the exception of a few so I convinced myself everyone is most of the time wrong and we have a little girl, I tried to prep my husband .. “you know I REALLY think it’s a girl” but it didn’t matter at that point. We didn’t care if they said boy or girl we just wanted to hear HEALTHY!


We’re at the office!


We sat in the waiting room for maybe 5-10 minutes. The woman performing the ultrasound (Chris) brought my husband into the room as I did what every pregnant woman does every 10 or so minutes .. use the restroom. I was so excited/nervous/excited I couldn’t even pee. After what seemed like hours of thinking of waterfalls and listening to the water run I finally handled business and was ready to see my baby!


My husband was in a chair to my left, the ultrasound machine and Chris were to my right, and there was a big flatscreen television straight ahead where we can watch the ultrasound. She lathered up my belly with that cool jelly, put the wand under my belly button, and BOOOMMM our baby was on the screen sucking its thumb

. The cutest baby and cutest thumb sucking I have ever seen in my entire life. My husband and I just stared in amazement with our mouths wide open at the little miracle we created. The baby definitely didn’t need ANY of that oj because it was ALL over the place… from thumb sucking to both hands up (touchdown position) to flipping .. literal FLIPS! Chris was so sweet and relaxing, she hummed lullabies as she moved the wand around and did her different measurements. We let her know we DID want to know the sex and she told us we had a “mover and a shaker” in there and asked the baby to hold still for a sec so she could get a picture. Suddenly the baby flipped and a butt was on the screen. I immediately knew what I was looking at while my husband waited for the description from Chris. I also noticed there was “nothing” there .. until she moved the wand a smidge and I saw a “something” followed by Chris saying “and there’s a penis”. IT was a BOY !! We made a BOY! My husband’s face lit up the entire room, he was floored. I was shocked as I thought of the select few that stuck to their guns and said it was a boy when everyone was flopping that it could be a girl.


Throughout the rest of the ultrasound we were able to see his liver, kidneys, 4 chambers of his heart, brain, bladder, stomach, 2 feet, 2 hands, 10 fingers, 10 toes, spine, and he showed us his butt (and goods) about 4 times. We were also able to hear his heartbeat (first time for my husband), see his heart beating, blood flowing, and nutrients going to him from the placenta. It was without a doubt the most amazing thing I ever witnessed and the best visit by far because it was followed up by an “everything looks perfect and he looks healthy” a whole 10.5 oz!!

And yes as soon as we left the doctor’s office we went right to the store. My husband bought not one but TWO bats and balls, a talking King Julian from the movie Madagascar , and a Yankee outfit. Can’t wait to meet my little man!!

3 comments:

  1. Look at that little baby!!!! I LOVE him! ok going shopping now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I loved reading this! It's amazing how they can tell us every detail about "our Little man" Now to wait and wait and wait. Fairy Tales do come true... My Prince is coming!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete